Monday, December 31, 2012
1. I want to eat better this year. I solemnly vow that I will no longer kid myself that green apple Now 'n' Laters, despite having the word "green" in the name, count the same as kale.
2. I want to lose weight this year. I solemnly vow that I will only consume organic vegetables, free-range meat, fairy dust and free trade club soda.
3. I want to exercise more this year. I solemnly vow that I will begin cross-training in the sports of BASE jumping and tiddlywinks.
4. I want to keep a tidy house this year. I solemnly vow that I will stop issuing hunting permits for dust bunnies.
5. I want to travel to the farthest reaches of the known world this year. I solemnly vow that I will take steps to get my Cleveland County Corn Maze and Knobby Spotting excursion package put together.
Well, it doesn't seem that I'm going to do too well on the "Big 5" resolutions, so what do I expect to accomplish with the upcoming 365 days?
1. I hope to remember that the small stuff is actually the Big Stuff.
2. I hope to remember that I impact more people than I know, often when I don't think I'm doing anything worth noticing.
3. I hope to remember that we all can use a kind word. Period.
4. I hope to remember that, when the choice is between screaming like a vengeful banshee and having a frosted cookie, it's okay to have the cookie.
5. I hope to remember that I feel better when I eat real food, exercise in the sunshine, and take time to ponder things - and that these are not frivolous activities, but are rather sound investments in myself.
May 2013 be good to us all.