Jazz. We did not need another cat, weren't looking for another cat, but things sometimes sort of happen and I'm a marshmallow when it comes to strays, cold days, and busy roads. Some random guy at the run-down apartment complex we were walking by offered us a beat-up cat carrier and my walking buddy and I took turns carrying our newfound friend a mile back to the car. The vet declared him healthy (worm and mite free, no feline leukemia) and lo, the pack is officially censused at three. It gets wearisome trying to keep the kitten's food for the kitten and Jazz doesn't yet know that we do not eat Mockingbird's hair at night (or any other time, for that matter). The house is hectic as the critters sort things out and I try to keep the peace and remind all the Furred Ones that they are special and pretty.
As a teenager, I had braces and, like many teenagers, I wasn't too diligent about brushing and flossing which ultimately resulted in straight teeth, but also a mouthful of dental work. One of my back molars was more filling than tooth and when the twenty-year-old filling gave way, a crown was indicated. Not a particularly pleasant morning, but the temporary crown was fitted to get me through the time while the lab made the permanent one. Three days later, the temporary popped off and the dentist was closed the next day, so I've been limping along until I can get to the office tomorrow. I know it's not serious, but it HURTS!
Because of the tooth issue and the snow, I've thrown aside the good habits I'd been working so hard to develop - I haven't walked enough, haven't eaten the right foods, and didn't want to do much to keep the house tidy - and I felt pretty crummy about all of that.
Safe to say, I have not been a pleasant person to be around the last 36 hours or so.
It's so easy to get caught up in this sort of "poor me" thinking, but the fact is, it really isn't so bad. Sure, I've been making do on yogurt and protein drinks, but you know what? I have yogurt and protein drinks - and when I made it up to mac 'n' cheese last night - well, that was a cause for celebration!
- A kitten with a sweet disposition and a distinct desire to be a cuddle-monkey has deigned to share our Nest.
- The dentist will cluck over my discomfort and take care of me tomorrow.
- I have a husband who went out this morning and brought back pretty much the entire aisle of "tooth pain" medication from the drugstore.
- I have friends who not only listen to me gripe, but then bring me homemade mac 'n' cheese.
- Maybe I'm developing better habits than I think, if it's bugging me when I'm off-track. And maybe I ought to ease up a little. No one (well, no one sane, which probably lets me off the hook) expects someone who's under the weather to walk 3.3 miles and crunch carrots.
- I have a reliable car and a trustworthy mechanic.
Blessings. They're worth counting. And there's nothing like a short run of minor misfortune to make me appreciate how lucky and blessed I am in my everyday life.
I just may dance a jig. Well, probably not, but the idea is there.