Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Well Dressed Wells & Beatlemania!

Sorry - I've been Internet-less for a few days, but that hasn't kept things from happening at a rapid pace. A few days ago, we entered the village of Youlgreave (or Yulgrave, or a few other variations thereof) in the Peak District just in time for the annual well-dressing, which is an ancient (read: pre-Christian) festival to celebrate and give thanks for water. It's now considered a feast of St. John the Baptist, but we know better, don't we?

Today, we spent more than five hours on a Beatles tour in Liverpool. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I didn't think I'd think much of this; I'm just not much of a Beatles fan. But we got lucky. Instead of the sixty-person bus tour ("yes, this is where John went to school. Okay - back on the coach"), we asked at the hotel (which is FABULOUS!! It's Parr Studios, which is part recording studio and part funky hotel) and got hooked up with a personalized taxi tour that resulted in dozens of photo stops and personal anecdotes. And I now know the reason behind most of the lyrics of "Penny Lane" and they're cool! Seriously - if you go to Liverpool (and you should), take a tour with these guys.

There's much more, but it's late and tomorrow's busy. So let me sign off for now.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Sounds like you're enjoying yourselves! Just as you should!