Saturday, November 22, 2008

Beethoven Is So Metal!

Most people associate classical music with tinkly harpsichords and men in prissy powdered wigs (and maybe knickers). It's an unfortunate linking, for classical music is hardly all polite tea and crumpets. It's passion and sweat and hunger and yearning. With kettledrums.

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra ("TSO" to its legions of fans) understands this and works very hard to bring the thrill of classical music to a wider audience. Think Pink Floyd style laser light shows, hot backup singers (with a three-octave range!), and a lead fiddle player whaling away on a hot pink electric violin. I know, it sounds quirky (perhaps bordering on bizarre), but FryDaddy and I had an awesomely good head-bangin' time.

Mind you, FryDaddy and I have different tastes in music - he can rattle off arcane facts about metal bands and is a closet Dethklok fan (this is what happens when you begin reading Nietzsche at the tender age of nine; let this be a lesson to you), while my dark musical secrets include the Monkees - but vive la difference.

Some classical lends itself easily to this bass-heavy treatment (Orff's "O Fortuna" leaps to mind), but TSO makes it work with pieces that you wouldn't think would come together. Then again, I've often heard that all you need is a guitar, three chords, and the truth.

Beethoven might not have had a guitar, but TSO lets you dream of what could have happened if Ludwig had gotten his hands on a Stratocaster.

4 comments:

Lloyd said...

TSO is Christmas carols ala rock opera. We saw them last year. My ears rang for a week. Makes you wonder what Mozart woulda done with a Moog ...

btw, I visited Beethoven's home in Bonn in October. He was not at home ...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

For the record, my appreciation for Metal has never been in the closet. I own a Metallica beach-towel for Pete's sake! Also, I didn't start reading Neitzsche until I was 12... while listening to Black Sabbath.

Dale Guffey said...

I think that rather proves my point.