Saturday, May 17, 2008

Savoring the Strawberries

I’m about to leave town for a short vacation before my summer class begins in about ten days. This break provides me with a good time for me to stop, drop, and roll. No – wait a minute. That’s not quite right, is it? I mean that it provides me with a good time to stop and look around at my life. Yeah, that sounds more like it.

It’s been a busy, hectic time and I think I often get caught up in the minutiae of daily life and forget to savor things. It’s good to remember that life is more than an unending series of lists and a few days with my toes in the sand is a good way for me to recall that bit of wisdom. So let’s see – a week’s worth of things to savor, some from the last few days and some (hopefully) from the near future.

1. Helping out at a therapeutic riding horse show. I was washing ponies by 7 a.m. and sunburned by noon. By the time it was over, I was filthy with horse-grime and so exhausted I had to catnap before I could muster the energy to clean up. It was better than New Year’s Eve and Mardi Gras combined.

2. Eating the strawberries that the Divine has put in my life; some of which are literal and some of which are delightfully metaphorical.

3. Music – both new stuff and old favorites re-discovered.

4. Having Krispy Kreme for breakfast.

5. Playing hooky for an afternoon to gawk at lemurs and feed emus. By the way, emus are greedy birds, sloppy eaters, and very, very persistent.

6. Re-discovering the joy of reading aloud.

7. Sitting on the beach, reading a Terry Pratchett novel and daydreaming.

So what do you savor?


1 comment:

Cait said...

Arrruuugh! We had Krispy Kremes with lunch the other day - very big deal for a Yankee : )